Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Chow Down


My parents had the good fortune of retiring at the relatively young age of 55, so every now and then I'll ask them what they're doing with all this time on their hands. Today I received an email from my mom with the subject line: "Jean and Sharon Meet Cat Chow." I wasn't really sure what to make of that -- I didn't think Mom ran with any drag queens.

It turns out that Cat Chow is a woman who makes clothes and such out of non-traditional materials, like a dress made entirely out of one long zipper, and she's coming to my hometown to teach a workshop to craft-inclined but slightly counter-culture Midwestern ladies. Flash forward to Christmas, when I am presented with a poncho made out of piston rings.

The moral of the story: retirement is awesome. Don't let them fool you.

No comments: